RPi2b, Libreelec plus Hyperion and LPD8806 LEDs

• This was a working setup with the pi2b loaded with Libreelec connected to the LEDs with the old Hyperion code running. The Pi only controlled the LEDs with the video feed coming over PROTO-PORT from an x86 HTPC running Libreelec with the Hyperion Kodi addon script. Kodi 19 updated to python 3 which blew up the addon on the HTPC, Python 2 based (I could probably have re-written it to Python 3 but there were other limitations of the setup).

So I decided time to go to USB grabber on the feed from the HTPC feeding the Pi 2b. HDMI splitter -> HDMI2AV box -> USB grabber.

RPi 2b connected to 186 LPD8806 LEDs. 15A power brick feeding the Pi2b and the LEDs, both using same power and ground.

The LEDs were originally directly connected to the Pi with the Pi behind the TV. There isn't sufficient room to for all the hardware behind the TV so I extended the leads to the LEDs ..... originally using the same gauge wire as the LEDs but when I couldn't get things working properly I replaced the extending wires to a larger gauge thinking voltage drop.

Yellow wire on LPD8806 strip to pin 19 on the GPIO and white wire to pin 23 (I had to look these up again as when I moved the Pi to connect up the grabber etc. I accidentally pulled the leads off the GPIO).

dtparam=spi=on in config.txt

Originally I installed Hyperion NG on top of Libreelec on the Pi2b:

Code
    wget -qO- https://git.io/JU4Zx | bash

I could control the LEDs via the Android app as well as connect via the browser on port 8090 and do the setup.

I could not get the grabber working and at this point assumed it was because I had old Hyperion code/config hanging around which was screwing things up. So I installed Hyperbian, a little basic setup in raspi-config such as timezone etc. and started the Hyperion setup again via a browser. At which point I worked out I had power issues with the grabber drawing too much power from the USB port on the Pi2b. I moved all of the USB powered items to a USB hub and then I could see and configure the grabber vs it connecting/disconnecting all the time.

Dashboard showed green lights everywhere, debug logs showed nothing untoward, hyperion running fine (systemctl told me so), lsmod and lsusb look good too. BUT the LEDs would not work. Android app connected and I could set a colour or effect and it would show as running in the web browser but the LEDs did nothing.

So I went back to Libreelec, set spi on in config.txt, added hyperion on top with the previous wget command, imported the config. Since I had a running Libreelec instance prior and, what the hell, worth a go.

And same result ..... web browser shows all good things but no LEDs turning on.

I have not included all the code etc. etc. here as the post would go on forever but can pull whatever you need to see or check.

Cheers for any and all help as I am stuck and can't find what is wrong.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!