Capture card automatically stops working after a couple of minutes

• Hello,

Almost a year ago, I setup a Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W with Hyperion that controls the leds that I attached to the back of my TV. It worked fine for a couple of months, however, it stopped working after a while. Afterward, every time I tried to boot the RPi it worked for a couple of minutes but then the capture device stopped. I read a lot of the threads of other people that face the same issue as me but every proposed solution doesn't work for me. I tried to replace all of the parts of my setup (except the RPi). I also installed the same setup with exactly the same parts on another TV but that has been working without any issues for over 9 months.

The error that occurs is as follows:

My setup:

1. Raspberry PI Zero 2 W
    2. WS2812B LED Strip - my setup uses 205 leds in total
    3. Video capture USB stick
    4. Power supply 40 Watt - 5V / 8A

I have always been more software oriented so I have little experience with the hardware side of RPis. I really hope someone can help me with fixing this issue.

Thank you in advance.

• Zur hilfreichsten Antwort springen
  • VIDIOC_DQBUF error 19 - means that the USB connection was dropped. It could be due USB controller or USB PHY error.

Test the grabber on another device, e.g. PC.

Use a different USB port.

Check the power supply from the RPI, ideally it should supply 5.2V and 2.5A.

regards pclin

Dreambox ONE / TWO

dreamOS OE2.6

Amlogic S922X - 53.000 DMIPS - 2 GB RAM - 16 GB Flash - Twin-DVB-S2X Tuner - HDR10 - HLG
    -
    AudioDSP: miniDSP 2x4HD - Amp: Pentagon - Lautsprecher ELAC / ARENDAL
    LG OLED65BX9LB (PicCap, hyperion.NG webOS)

FireTV 4K max

-
    hyperion (classic) & Plugin HyperionControl | hyperion-ng 2.0.16-beta.1 (dreamOS)
    Hyperion-ng (Debian bullseye)
    -
    6 x ESP32/Wemos D1 mini - WLED - SK6812 RGBW-NW 60 LEDs/m
    FeinTech VSP01201 - Grabber Macrosilicon

LG TV Hyperion webOS & PicCap

snoozer_likelinux_manvtkns.gif

Ambilight for ever

• Thanks for responding! The grabber works fine when I connect it to my laptop so that should be fine. Currently, both the RPi and the leds are powered with the same power supply. The RPi via the USB port and if I understood correctly only one of the two ports can be used to power the RPi. When I try to power the RPi separately, the video capture seems to work a lot longer (currently longer than 20 minutes which is a new record). However, now the leds don't turn on anymore... I'm using this power supply.

Again, I'm quite the RPi hardware noob so thanks for the help.

• If the LEDs no longer come on, there can be various reasons.

Can you measure the volts under load?

Which Hyperion version are you using can you still connect to the RPI and Hyperion?

How many LEDs etc. more info please.

regards pclin

Dreambox ONE / TWO

dreamOS OE2.6

Amlogic S922X - 53.000 DMIPS - 2 GB RAM - 16 GB Flash - Twin-DVB-S2X Tuner - HDR10 - HLG
    -

FireTV 4K max

-
    hyperion (classic) & Plugin HyperionControl | hyperion-ng 2.0.16-beta.1 (dreamOS)
    -

Ambilight for ever

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von pclin ()

• I unfortunately don't have any tools to measure volts as I normally try to stay away from hardware related stuff. I should probably buy something for that. Do you have a link to something suitable?

Currently, Hyperion version 2.0.13~bullseye is installed. There are 205 leds in my setup. The RPi with Hyperion on it works fine. I can still access the web app. On the web app, I can see that the capturing device is still functioning properly. It really seems that that issue is resolved now I powered my RPi separately. However, it would be nice to have both the leds and video capturing working :D

After plugging in the leds (yes, I really forgot that...), they started flickering. I still see that the capturing device is working, however, when I turn the led output on via Hyperion, the flickering begins. Any thoughts?

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von mfhbree () aus folgendem Grund: Merged a post created by mfhbree into this post.

• Hilfreichste Antwort

When I try to power the RPi separately, the video capture seems to work a lot longer (currently longer than 20 minutes which is a new record). However, now the leds don't turn on anymore... I'm using this power supply.

no Dutch okay.

You have to use a common GND when using 2 separate power supply, without that it doesn't work

So problem is plural: probably not enough current available for the USB grabber, no common GND >> and/or problem with firmware for USB devices/HDMI devices

you can solve this:

make a common GND, connect every GND/ - /V- comming from ledstrip to the GND pins on the Raspi.

use at least 2 common GND pins and connect them together.

Ground at Raspberry Pi GPIO Pinout

second:

Power the ledstrip from BOTH sides.

so: GND connected together at beginning and end.

+5 volts connected together at beginning and end.

• Thanks, unfortunately I don't speak Dutch and I think more users will benefit from it. ;)

redargds pclin

Dreambox ONE / TWO

dreamOS OE2.6

-

FireTV 4K max

-
    -

Ambilight for ever

• so: GND connected together at beginning and end.

+5 volts connected together at beginning and end.

Thank you for the great information you provide. I promise next time I will ask you in Dutch ;) but I hope that other people also learn from my mistakes and your answers.

Below you can see an image of my wiring. In blue the beginning of the led and in green the end. The green wire is already connected to the power supply. So you are saying that I should add one wire to the yellow dot and one to the red dot and combine these with the wiring from the beginning of the leds?

Possibly another not so bright question, you mentioned two power supplies but with that you mean one for powering the leds and one for powering the RPi, right?

• Possibly another not so bright question, you mentioned two power supplies but with that you mean one for powering the leds and one for powering the RPi, right?

yes thats what i meant :)

The green wire is already connected to the power supply. So you are saying that I should add one wire to the yellow dot and one to the red dot and combine these with the wiring from the beginning of the leds?

+ 5 volts on ledstrip, connect together beginning and end ( yellow dot) +5volts

GND on ledstrip, connect together beginning and end ( red dot) + 5volts.

oh, de moderator zei dat het prima is om Nederlands te spreken hier hahaa

je moet ervoor zorgen dat de 2 voedingen aan elkaar gelinkt worden met behulp van de GND, dus de 2 minnen verbinden van de 2 powersupply's

dat doe je door de GND van de ledstrip en van ledstrip PSU (powersupply/voeding) op de PINnen GND ( minstens 2) van de Raspi te connecten.

dan krijg je een gezamenlijke common oftewel - / GND

beste is solderen op de Raspi pinnen!

english: best is to solder directly on the Raspi pins

• Ik heb vandaag eindelijk je fixes kunnen proberen @Lightning-guy77. De leds knipperen nog steeds. Ik heb het volgende gedaan:

1. de +5 volt van het einde van de ledstrip samengevoegd met de +5 van het begin.

2. de GND van het einde van de ledstrip samengevoegd met de GND van het begin.

3. de GND van het einde van de ledstrip verbonden met een grond pinnetje van de RPi (op basis van de link die je deelde).

4. de GND van het begin van de ledstrip verbonden met een ander grond pinnetje van de RPi.

Zie je dat er iets in deze stappen mist of verkeerd is?

• nee lijkt allemaal goed.

Probeer eens het volgende:

Je gebruikt de Ws281x ledcontroller PWM

Flicker kan ook komen door inkomende audio op je Raspi. PWM gebruikt ook audio.

Ga naar config.txt en voeg toe

Code
    dtparam=audio=off

je kan deze toevoegen ergens bij audio rules.

# ervoor betekent dat de rule NIET werkt, dus niet gebruiken

Code
    sudo nano config.txt 

opslaan met CTRL+O en eruit met CTRL+X

Misschien dat dit helpt.

als je wilt kan ik ook een keer met je meekijken via Teamviewer in de Webui van Hyperion. Misschien kunnen we dan sneller achterhalen wat er aan de hand is

laat maar weten, Raspi moet dan wel gekoppeld zijn samen met je pc op hetzelfde LAN

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Ambientheater77 () aus folgendem Grund: Merged a post created by Lightning-guy77 into this post.

• Het lijkt erop dat er iets fout is gegaan bij het solderen. Ik heb met mijn spanning zoeker gekeken of alles spanning had en dat leek goed, maar een kabel raakte los. Daarna heb gisteren alles losgehaald, opnieuw gestript en weer vast gesoldeerd. Het werkt sindsdien zonder problemen dus ik denk dat het nu opgelost is. Heel erg bedankt voor je hulp Ambientheater77!!

• mfhbree

Hat einen Beitrag als hilfreichste Antwort ausgewählt.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!