New to Hyperion - Am I starting on the right foot ?

• Hi,

I am planning to begin my Hyperion journey with my TV. The goal is to have that controlled by a Raspberry Pi 4 (that I already have), that would capture all the HDMI signal with a splitter + capture device. I also plan to add a Home Assistant on this pi (I am already familial with) to add more controls for normal lighting. But I have multiple questions to be sure I am not doing anything wrong.

I plan to buy these leds : https://fr.aliexpress.com/item…937460.0.0.705a2e0eNcvmkE , 4 meters are required for my TV. Questions :

- Are they good ? Would you recommend them ?

- Can the pi 4 deliver enough power for 4x60 of those leds ?

Regarding HDMI capture :

- What is the best device I should use for this ?

- What should I be careful of when choosing those things ?

- Could you recommend me some ?

Regarding the pi 4 :

- Will it be fast enough to deliver a fast signal to all those leds without to much desync with the image ? Could it lag sometimes ?

- What if I add other services like Home Assistant that can be a bit heavy ?

- If not, what are the alternative solutions ?

- The pi will be always on and it's the room I sleep in. Noise is a problem, so I guess a fanless solution is better. Is there cases that would work well without the pi overheating ?

Last questions :

- Am I missing something ? Is there other things to buy or other advices you could give me for a better result ?

- What are common mistakes ?

Thanks in advance and have a great day. Thanks for any answer.

• - Are they good ? Would you recommend them ?

I think the APA102 is better, work everytime no hassle with PWM

- Can the pi 4 deliver enough power for 4x60 of those leds ?

yes, plenty

Regarding HDMI capture :

- What is the best device I should use for this ?

i used a splitter from Xolorspace with downscaler, very good splitters

- What should I be careful of when choosing those things ?

choose one that can cope with HDR-Dolby Vision/CEC/ARC/HDCP/4K signals and so on!

- Could you recommend me some ?

XOLORspace 61121 1x2 4K 60HZ 4:4:4 HDR HDMI Splitter with downscaler 4k to 1080p – (3pcs HDMI cables pack)
    FEATURES Support HDMI 2.0, HDCP2.2 Support 3D video format Support high resolution up to 3840X2160/60HZ Support the max baud rate of 18Gbps and TMDS clock can…
    xolorspace.com

Regarding the pi 4 :

- Will it be fast enough to deliver a fast signal to all those leds without to much desync with the image ? Could it lag sometimes ?

its fast enough, i am using a PI3 and its fast enough so....

- What if I add other services like Home Assistant that can be a bit heavy ?

no problem but don't try to capture 4K resolutions, 1080P is plenty for Hyperion to work with, HyperionNG can't cope with HDR/Dolby Vision and the colours captured will be bland and stale...

- If not, what are the alternative solutions ?

---------------------------------------------------------------

- The pi will be always on and it's the room I sleep in. Noise is a problem, so I guess a fanless solution is better. Is there cases that would work well without the pi overheating ?

use a silent 120mm computerfan in a box, (look at my video) don't use fanless it will wreck the PI4 in time.... happend to my friend...

Last questions :

- Am I missing something ? Is there other things to buy or other advices you could give me for a better result ?

you need a box ( i think/my opinion) to keep it neat and dust out/ not overheating etc...

- What are common mistakes ?

put everything behind the tv and stick it to the frame of tv, it will not stick in time and dust.... etc.

make a frame for the leds, not sticking it with the self adhesive to the backplate... but make a frame and stick the leds onto there. Then take the frame and attach that to the tv

goodluck!

• Thanks for your answer.

I looked at APA102 leds and they are much more expensive than WS2812BECO or SK6812. What are the advantages of those 2 ? Also I didn't find if APA102 is RGB or RGBW. In what way is it better ?

Subsidiary question : I alwos have a Wemos D1 Mini lying around that is not used, I plan to use it for simple lighting of the room (no hyperion), controller by the network by home assistant. Can it power any of those 3 types of led ? How much ?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!