esp32 and ws2812, 3v3, vin or external power supply?

• Hi, im using an esp32 for hyperion. Connected to it, i have a led strip ws2812 that has 5 cables (grouped in a 3pin connector and another ground and volt cable for external supply).

Initially i was using only the 3 wire connected with jumpers to the esp32, but considering that a single esp32 can't handle properly (at least i think it) 274 led, i removed the 3v3 and grnd cable from esp32, and i linked the two auxiliary ground and power to an usb cable.

So now, i have an esp32 with only data cable from the led strip on it, and then on the led, i have the data cable that go on the esp32, grnd and 5v (from the main 3) without any link, and the 2 auxiliary connected to an usb. But it doesn't work. the led doesn't turn on. Surely im doing something wrong. Can you help me?

• ESP can operate significantly more than 274 LEDs, up to 490 LED is possible with streaming protocol RAW, more with DDP.

With WS2812b you need the data line and GND from the ESP. From the power supply of the stripes you go with 5V+ and GND to the LED's and connect the two GND's together.

For WS2812b you need a levelshifter for full function. Instead of making assumptions, you should better inform yourself.

Getting Started - WLED Project

The picture of the Wemos is general and probably does not fit your ESP32., you don't need CLK for WS2812b and +5V only if you also supply the Wemos, for example, via the power supply unit of the Stripes.

regards pclin

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!