Controlling WS2812B led stripe directly on pc for backlight

• Hello everyone.

I'm relatively new to working with led stripes at all, but every tutorial i see online uses a raspberry as a controller for the led stripe. Is it possible to control a ws2812b using a more humble controller like a ESP32 or ESP8266, directly connected to a usb port?

I want to create ambient light for the same pc hosting hyperion, so I believe there must be a less overkill way to do it than using a rasperry pi. Is that the case?

Thanks.

• Offizieller Beitrag

ESP32 with WLED software can control the LED via LAN/WLAN or via USB (limited Baudrate).

Hyperion can then be operated on your PC, you don't need an RPI for this.

I run Hyperion on LG TV, Dreambox TWO and PC. The ESP's are controlled via LAN or WLAN and can therefore be easily controlled by Hyperion from any device.

regards pclin

• How slow of a baudrate? monitor refresh rate is 144hz and and would like it to be maybe not that fast but still decent...

Would it improve if using ethernet? Not sure if its viable in my case since i got wired internet and only 1 ethernet socket.

So if i understood correctly, in order for hyperion to work with the ESP32 controlled ws2812b stripe , i need to install WLED software in the esp32?

Thanks for the help.

• Offizieller Beitrag

WS2812b requires 800000 ESP default 112500 (screenshot), there are also options to achieve 800000 via USB.

Wifi delay is about 5 ms, LAN 0.5 ms, so usually not a problem.

If you only have one LAN connection, you would have to use a switch so that you get more connections.

The refresh rate of your monitor is independent of this, it is always a question of the grabber as to what is possible with it.

WLED on the ESP is a very good solution with many options and works easily with Hyperion.

regards pclin

• sorry, still pretty new to this and these concepts are really blurry...

I am basically going to install wled on an esp32 (this is the one i am going toget) connect the ws2812b accordingly, (data wire on d2 pin) plug the esp32 via usb, and power the led stripe, and hyperion should recognize the stipe right?

Thanks again.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You have to configure the appropriate control type.

For USB that would be adalight, for Wifi or LAN it would be wled, for example.

regards pclin

• Got it, so connecting the led stripe to the ESP32 hosting WLED, and that via usb to the pc hosting hyperion as mentioned should work then. Hyperion can detect and drive the esp32 by setting it to adalight.

Did i get it right?

Thanks once more

• Haven't tried yet, but I think it should work. Even tho ESP32 is connected through usb to the pc, i suspect thats only for power, and that connection to WLED from Hyperion is done though WiFi. What i am not sure about yet is What would happen if hyperion server is connected through ehternet and not wifi, it shouldn't matter right?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hyperion server can be operated easily with LAN.

ESP with LAN is best and provides the lowest latency.

Wifi approx. 5 ms, LAN 0.5 ms.

regards pclin

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!