Ambilight Hardware Help!

• Hey guys!

Please help me out of feeling a little overwhelmed... the more I read, the less I understand.

So, I want to add ambilight to my LG OLED 65".

HDMI setup is:

Playstation -----|
    Dreambox -----|
    nVidia Shield --| (Netflix, Jellyfin, both have DV and HDR content...)

more ................|
    | --- Onkyo AV Receiver ---> HDMI --> LG

After watching this, well known, tutorial I thought that adding this is really easy to do.
    I thought I only need the following hardware:

(cheap Amazon HDCP 2.2 with loop out ...)

Raspi Zero (2) W or even Raspi 3 B

+ PSU (5v 10A)
    + Barrel Jack Connector

LED strip and Raspi (micro USB) +/- comes into the barrel jack connector, which is connected to the PSU
    Data signal cable of the LED strip to the respective contact on the Raspi - and that is it more or less, right?

Then, I have seen several things like Splitters and all sorts of stuff.
    Splitters might be needed for those who don't use AV Receivers, right?
    Also I've seen that guys add a fuse between LED Strip and PSU, which I think I don't need.

What is the most straigthforward implementation for Hyperion/HyperHDR for my setup?
    Also, with the HW setup described, does Netflix work, via the app on my nVidia shield? (Grabber has HDCP 2.2)

Thanks for any input I may get!

• Offizieller Beitrag

1. I would root an LG OLED and install PicCap and Hyperion and operate the LED on an ESP with WLED software.

2. A splitter/grabber solution is almost always preferable to a LoopOut Grabber card. (with and without AV receiver)

3. RPI 5.2 V and most LEDs 5V, the best are power supplies for the LED that can be set (measured by the LED <5V).

4. For most LEDs you need a level shifter e.g. SN74AHCT125 (3.3V Data/Clock from ESP/RPI/Arduino to 5V Data/Clock for LED stripe)

regards pclin

The images in the attachment come from the WLED wiki and apply to ESP, RPI, Arduino etc.

• Thanks @pclin, this is great information!

I further looked at it and you are absolutely right. It would be best to root the TV. You could install all the stuff in dev mode alone, but since the dev mode is temporarly, you'd want to really root the TV.

OK, updated way to go:

Higher level:
    [LG TV --> PiCap --> Hyperion) --> over WIFI to --> ESP32 --> WLED --> WS2812 ECO 5M 300 LEDs

1. Software

Please correct me if i am wrong, but as is see it, this should be the way to go.
    You have it rooted, right? I have a 2018 OLED65C8LLA with WebOS 05.50.10.
    Which WebOS Version do you have and is homebrewchannel starting the SSH server on reboot?

I think I will have to just do it at some point and tackle questions when they come up^^

Nevertheless, the plan is to run PiCap & Hyperion directly on the TV, which eliminates the need of a RaspberryPi.

2. Hardware and wiring - Still, the bigger pain point.

Please review those parts:

Q:
    1. Do you have an opinion against the "ECO" versions of WS2812B?
    - As described here it should be irrelevant if you use the non ECO or ECO version, right?

2. The biggest question mark still is the level shifter topic. Please take a look at the attached image, which is from here.

Isn't he using the ESP8266 (Wemos D1 mini) without a level shifter on WS2812B LEDs?

When you go to https://www.wemos.cc/en/latest/, it says, that all the digital outputs operate at 3,3V.
    So, that confuses me a lot.

Also he uses a 470 ohms resistor instead of the 62 in your wiring diagram.

Thanks for your help in clearing up those pain points so I can start :)

• The wiring diagrams in post #2 are the most current. I would use ESP32 and SK6812 RGBW-NW. It costs a little more but the result is better.

You can find information and help for rooting your LG at Discord openlgtv

And here is a summary and very good help.

regards pclin

Dreambox ONE / TWO

dreamOS OE2.6

Amlogic S922X - 53.000 DMIPS - 2 GB RAM - 16 GB Flash - Twin-DVB-S2X Tuner - HDR10 - HLG
    -
    AudioDSP: miniDSP 2x4HD - Amp: Pentagon - Lautsprecher ELAC / ARENDAL
    LG OLED65BX9LB (PicCap, hyperion.NG webOS)

FireTV 4K max

-
    hyperion (classic) & Plugin HyperionControl | hyperion-ng 2.0.16-beta.1 (dreamOS)
    Hyperion-ng (Debian bullseye)
    -
    6 x ESP32/Wemos D1 mini - WLED - SK6812 RGBW-NW 60 LEDs/m
    FeinTech VSP01201 - Grabber Macrosilicon

LG TV Hyperion webOS & PicCap

snoozer_likelinux_manvtkns.gif

Ambilight for ever

• pclin

I currently have an LG C3 65 inch TV connected to an rpi 3b with hyperion, going throu a capture card then a splitter and on to TV. Hyperion installed on rpi 3 communicates with wled on a DigiUno which powers an RGBW (sk6812). Everything works ok, there is a very slight lag between the TV and the lights. I'm still playing with the settings in Hyperion to see if it can be improved.

Is it better to have LG TV rooted and install Hyperion?

1. Will performance be improved?
    2. How will DRM be affected?
    3. Do I still need the splitter to avoid any DRM issues? Currently I don't seem have any.
    4. is it more trouble than it's worth, especially since it's all set up with hardware? I feel I may be introducing issues down the road rooting TV.

I
    'm trying to understand the pros and cons before going down this rabbit hole. Appreciate those who may have been down this path for your opinions. Thank you.

• PicCap and Hyperion on LG TV, ESP32 and WLED is the best solution for me. DRM protected apps on the LG don't work, no problem via HDMI.

Lag between the TV and the lights.

WLED > Transissions off

Hyperion >

USB Capture > MJPEG - 640x480 - FPS 30 - Size decimation 6 - 8

Image Processing > Smoothing (Turn it off or experiment with Time)

regards pclin

Dreambox ONE / TWO

dreamOS OE2.6

Amlogic S922X - 53.000 DMIPS - 2 GB RAM - 16 GB Flash - Twin-DVB-S2X Tuner - HDR10 - HLG
    -
    AudioDSP: miniDSP 2x4HD - Amp: Pentagon - Lautsprecher ELAC / ARENDAL
    LG OLED65BX9LB (PicCap, hyperion.NG webOS)

FireTV 4K max

-
    hyperion (classic) & Plugin HyperionControl | hyperion-ng 2.0.16-beta.1 (dreamOS)
    Hyperion-ng (Debian bullseye)
    -
    6 x ESP32/Wemos D1 mini - WLED - SK6812 RGBW-NW 60 LEDs/m
    FeinTech VSP01201 - Grabber Macrosilicon

LG TV Hyperion webOS & PicCap

snoozer_likelinux_manvtkns.gif

Ambilight for ever

• Thank you. The only downside I see is with the image quality, currently I get 4K SDR I do not get 4K HDR Dolby Vision.

I will try the rooted way to see if my image quality improves.

Thank you again.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!