Custom Config: 2 strips w/ unused LEDS at end + 2 data lines

• Hello! I have a unique setup that I am trying to get up and working. I want to start by saying that it is a possibility for me to just join my two strips, but I have set them up the way I have for optimal power (less voltage drop) and data integrity. With that said, it is an awkward setup, but I think it should be possible to build a configuration to handle it in Hyperion. So while I know it will be simpler to just join them, I would like to try to achieve my design spec, unless it IS NOT possible.

Parts:

120" Projection screen

Hyperion (Windows)

Quinled-Dig-Quad WLED controller
    2 x SK6812 BTF Lighting RGBWW 60LED/m 5m strips
    Two data lines coming from Dig Quad

I have a bit more length than I need on the strips, I only needed about 27ft vs the approximately 32.8ft of the two strips combined. So there are LEDs at the end of each strip that should not be lit. I will rely heavily on a diagram for explanation, so here is that:

To try and describe it, and hopefully not confuse further:

There are two strips, the data for each starts from the bottom of the screen, slightly staggered to the right. The diagram shows how I have the segments setup in WLED. I realize that this won't matter to Hyperion, and I have the Sync Settings in WLED set so that in Hyperion it shows a single 600 LED strip/segment. The interface shows "Streaming Segment Disabled At WLED".

I have tried many different configurations of the LED Layout, including a single GUI configured layout which I was able to get "Strip 1" working, no surprise. I also tried creating two layouts and combining the JSON in the manual config, and was able to again get "Strip 1" working, but could not figure out "Strip 2". I won't go into the details, as I would rather someone come at the problem with a fresh head instead of retracing my mistakes!!

Two parts of the setup which I think may be causing the issues are:

1. The unused LEDs at the end of "Strip 1" and beginning of "Strip 2".

2. "Strip 2" needs to have the data direction reversed.

Everything I have read so far still leads me to believe this could work. But I am willing to accept that I need to change my install to be more friendly (single strip, no unused LEDs). I would like to figure out how to get this working if possible though, and also become a master at Hyperion custom config in the process!!

• Zur hilfreichsten Antwort springen
    • Offizieller Beitrag

You need to configure all 600 LEDs.

With strip 1 you already had the right start. Ensure that you Blacklist the extra LEDs at the end of the strip.

Then configure the strip 2 the same way and copy both JSONs together.

• I think you are correct, I can get the left side "Strip 1" working. When I am building it in the GUI and then "Save Layout" it seems like the screen is full height and half width and shows the top/left/bottom of the screen, which is what I would expect. In the GUI it looks like this:

LED Frame:

Blacklist LEDs:

I then "Save Layout", and copy and paste from the Generated/Current LED Configuration, this is the JSON:

left.json.txt

This is a photo of the left "Strip 1" how it looks:
    AP1GczM9Ua_wB9y_g8QgUQWhVxbvZjXCq_EbTA5TlRIWhTIwZDlNq0jKANn8WnqxoiD7enAT1VOX-S2aTuAut5lXhey8P0y19E2oVD40yH8Li_Qhs9wULaAaeWs0-Js4NICUUN5ysHs2pI16GVfwE22Yk04v3PLKpjKNd64CxQopVpdQOvXpNY5vbi5EDwqOLhWp7E5vxde9DnWKWavQsrgfeu3t5-sAN4QRHX1tZpi14LVKUbzYwe_2mJFd4g6F-NrzbmPWqL31vPTG86JezTPvrlTipg1oocfIg3iopnbmWou_dWSYo4LNRX3G8B8GhIO-ASpxYdz8S8syPK4zPfDV-jsSQHA_jNz0sCYdpTy7EYzUULuBdSKl63HpJjOGc4OkFXLo8WdiQDEH2xEh4SC0IbY4aYTuPBPB04j4dH81tA8_0NJuXZUc2hVOtrC5gX_-yH8D60xCePcp3891PF-w_bnDgz_k7E1u0TBtl8Q9RfGec8qf_kqWICnJ9HZGkazJa5uMkr9OvTBAxWhUGtlpk2JuY5clvdzgb2230EFfosG8ahVBC9UlktaAmLLK176vAK5prYzVtQrFbwdoMFa8RtJPqXu1L1btKoxTBSZooT019GJHkb3hvznOl0SEn12fsQBMAwUpHFHVrQnz927FC2ewgqi5sslqzmeR-_8rQ6EKa_1PNGEHk7ZPRvD6-EOfP55XCqzQTEi2sYXow5L7r11hRHP6d8d5n0-p0DPYdNAZb4tbuUecB_3pkGn8rF18LWeH3h2E3uUn6lIB-_Qye49yCjgJUu8zuT6uImbFBTd1oV0zNoi2fI6iPNEfIhS3nLuhRFJFHoq8VUTNwXFY59fkt6uWlAWftItBESm9rDr7lo_nd1hTuQ7NjyWgOvCIKP76nKVpAiSQ5JnuTFVNTcO1r0dc=w2635-h1984-s-no-gm?authuser=0

"Strip 2" starts at the same point that "Strip 1" does on the bottom slightly staggered right from center, here is the GUI configuration:

LED Frame:

Blacklist LEDs:

I won't include a photo, since it would still show the left "Strip 1" LEDs lit. Here is the JSON for "Strip 2":
    right.json.txt

Now to combine them together, I am using VS Code, but any text editor should work. I copy the contents of "left.json" into a new file named "combine.json". Then remove the last line with a single "]" and then put a comma after the "}" on the new last line. Then I copy the contents of "right.json" starting at line 2 and paste it into the "combine.json" file. Here are the contents of "combine.json":
    combine.json.txt

Finally, I paste the contents of "combine.json" into Hyperion LED Layout in the "Generated/Current LED Configuration" and press "Save Layout".

Combined LED Layout Preview:

Photo of actual screen:
    AP1GczPSyN0KHN-69SOLMu9UyRLVkZjzRP08mS7GCRqFbvV-uhCdSBJO637Nfa5KxPXtoHF6m9tWT4cz29qcizLQExT7Tn4C4Vh1jVw2t0_4FGTci36ZLj88Wsf9qUlaSNSLXQGneIZUP7T7Lh_1RQCrt6bMqoZ__g7si8RO_4I31lLGjJ7QoIMhN2CFmXc_sF0hTE8-U-UzgWQik3fdj_op9uq71Eo56wBTuew3PADidPvy1eBvo1daljT7QfEhH5epufkGfXlqBFVZelyUESXCk3-5pfb1vO_ZfviBq62TM4Po7BSiTZgaskyr2-gXuB_u0CFZz-6faXZof0cGXPAitaek_pTuvRhF0Q056Of_9Qib-x9bh2G2EFQV7biMyqsQu9cJ8e4nZgVfYzEst2yhSRWnEptb-tJj6-lzHT8ANyW13S1cZdlhTVL4naUSi5VSs6m06t5OKuK5B0P48UIuGZIVl-q_hYrv1ikygC-aa4EAuAFAFP3pjWWP0V4T7jE4R72F9eJcXHwtP80Mqdj40DFYCc_nMmpM1ANXhn8-3CqTgEW0nic4-XvLJSJDVjY2VozGdlJqEVWSxrrwPHiyByi0Fn7J2XfZegk2uEuLmFzroSPMSVwOudrRP6FvHWFXqfkgghkHwagrbTa5hqgIvOisVjqkmcqxha6AVQt2kMzkh5bWzcEi5p3mSQpzBt5mu4VbX-TtMIqh5ghWjD0uFUm-tGbBiXpwpSbSRvpnWPt96AyKhM2XO26Nd8LYXRXhhahmwCVG8ToMNPIrCV5gYsgxgzihpXJhaxEzwG0DfV4FYh4JKCETzcB5MKKSdd77szK-8ZVfVC96cm8ZW6E7KVmtp2CnPZV0l6xxFC_dx_PZ-FUMU2d6QF_vs4HMaV_XNhHdtEbxtJOmgSTdT3irFRCskakE=w2635-h1984-s-no-gm?authuser=0

I was really hoping at the end of this that just being very thorough and typing it all out, I would end up with a working setup, but as often as that has been the case before it was not tonight :( . I do feel like I have gotten closer, but obviously not quite there yet. Hopefully with the info I've provided it is enough to figure out what is going on!

It seems the photos didn't show up in my above post.

Left "Strip1" only after GUI config:

When configuring "Strip 2" it shows on left side of screen, but when combining the JSON and Saving the layout it looks like this:

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von djdubd () aus folgendem Grund: Merged a post created by djdubd into this post.

• Hilfreichste Antwort

I actually ended up solving this by going at it in a different fashion. I hope it can be helpful for anyone else who stumbles upon this thread and has a similar issue. I used an advanced feature of WLED called "Mapping" which essentially gives you full control over your strip by allowing you to pick which LEDs are positioned where on the hardware LED presented to WLED, note this is not a "segment".

Here is the docs page, which explains it pretty well how to achieve whatever pieced together frankenstein strip you desire!!

https://kno.wled.ge/advanced/mapping/

The only thing I found missing from the page was that in order to apply the custom "ledmap.json" file you need to create, you need to select "Info -> Reboot WLED", then wait for it to start up again. This has allowed me to take the above situation and create the ideal "strip" which has it's first LED at the top left corner, so setup in Hyperion was a breeze.

If you have questions after looking at the above link, I'd be happy to try and answer them!

• djdubd

Hat einen Beitrag als hilfreichste Antwort ausgewählt.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Good you found a solution.

Nevertheless, I want to outline where the issue with the previous layout is.

You configured a layout for a full-screen while running LEDs half screen.

That you also see at the bottom left where red is shown even if it is at bottom right of the screen.

You would need to map the left half of you screen to the left strip (without blacklisted LEDs), then add blacklisted LEDs.

Do the same for the right half and the combine both.

• I think I understand. Looking at the combine.json that I had, I don't have any blacklisted leds. I would need to insert those between the left/right strips. I might try to revisit this and see if I can get the mapping correct in Hyperion alone, and if I do so I will follow up with my observations and what I learned from the process.

I also want to volunteer to help anyone who might stumble upon this thread and wants to remap the LEDs in WLED. I will say that it worked very well and allowed for the strip to present itself in the "default" configuration that Hyperion expects, but it also introduces some complexity with creating the custom mapping array. Overall though, for me it peeled away one of the layers of complication I was dealing with in Hyperion, and made it easier for me to grasp the issue.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!