General Question For RPI & Multidisplay Setup

• Hi! Thank you for your time and Hyperion!

My question is, what would be best route to take when setting up an Ambilight for a Multidisplay setup.. with 6 Screens?

The setup is based off the PiWalll which uses 1 master Pi to processes a huge resolution video, cut the frames, and send to each slave Pi.

Possible routes I came up with were, but am not certain if possible are:

• Run Hyperion on each slave Pi configured for its corner, and communicates that back to the master or another Pi which manages the lights
    • Scale up the configuration somehow to match with the lights setup.. Basically have the video playing on a Pi and it will say that resolution is 3x less width/height, so if you scale up the config somehow, the lights should sync with the video output
    • And what i want to avoid doing... Having to cut the LED strip and Feed each piece into each of the Pi's, and then running Hyperion locally on each one

I'm doing all this for a school project so any advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

• Greetings,
    i would recommend to capture the entire picture, so use one Hyperion with one led stripe. Hyperion scales with endless leds, you might run out of cpu power or in case of a arduino also out of resources. Never used myself on a Pi such a huge setup like 1000 leds. This is more a @penfold42 question (?)
    The key question is, could you capture on your master pi? As i have no clue how the image is processed with your setup. You could also capture on your debian/ubuntu computer or Mac or even Windows and send it to Hyperion. We have some options here you could play with.

• Thanks for the quick answer!

The master in this case is not actually outputting any video. It's just processing and sending the frames to each of the slaves. In the case that the master can't processes both tasks of displaying and cutting frames, then i can always add an additional pi which will display the video.

If I'm understanding correctly, Hyperion doesn't need an exact video resolution and display size match, it will just scale as needed as long as the ratios match.. right?

• It's just processing and sending the frames to each of the slaves

Maybe you could loop the output back to a /dev/video0, this can be captured too. As long your pi don't run out of cpu time :)
    But another pi just for hyperion is possible too.

You don't require a specific pixel size or ratio. I had issues with another ratio than 1:1 on my Pi, but not sure if this is a common problem.

• I think in total, it was looking like about 160 WS2812b LEDs.

Ok so it should scale up.. that was where my confusion was but it makes sense that it won't have any effect on that.

The subsection cutting is done on each slave.

Thanks for the quick replies guys.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!