Power Supply Question

• I'm a little confused about how i should be wiring up the Pi and the LEDs. i purchased a 5v 30a power supply, should i use this to power everything, or is it bettwe to use this to only drive the LEDs, and use the regular miniusb power supply for the pi. If i use the 5v supply to run everything, do i need a level shifter?

• Powering ether way is OK. I like separate power because my Rpi is on 24/7 useing a 3 amp wall wart. It draws just a few watts. And my led's are powered with a much higher wattage drawing power supply that only on when the led's are in used
    A helper diagram (By Christian mosser). showing powering all from one source.

You can try without a level shifter, it works for some folks. I recommend using one though. They're inexpensive.

Hope it helps.

• so the level shifter is only needed if i power it all off the single large PSU?

Some have problems with flickering and other led strangeness without a level shifter, some don't. That being said, the led is looking for a 5v data signal (+/- about 5%). And the Rpi's data pins are 3.3v. Some led's have a wider tolerance of the data signal and handle the lower voltage data signal better.

does it matter which GPIO pins i connect too?

Yes, absolutely. Some helper diagram's below.

Oh,and in that first diagram, think of the battery packs as your wall wart and . .err . .Big Bertha power supply.
    I'm making the assumption that your using a led strip that has a clock and data connection. If its a one pin led data strip, then omit the clock line.

Hope it helps.

P.S. good tips and stuff on this page https://hyperion-project.org/t…-ws2801-ws2812b-apa102.8/

• i did get the APA20 LEDs so it has the 4 wires. I had no idea that the data signal would be 5v as well, so it sounds like getting a level shifter is probably a good idea just to make sure everyhting is running smoothly. thanks for the diagrams and the advice

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!