half leds don't work

• hi,
    i'm having some problems with my ambilight setup.
    I'm running OpenELEC on my raspberry Pi 3 and i'm using ws2801 led strip.
    i've installed hyperion with HyperCon following the "No Solder Tutorial".
    When I start hyperion only the first 2 strips and half of the third works fine, other leds are randomly on.
    I've found similar problem in this thread: https://hyperion-project.org/t…/not-all-leds-light.1027/
    and looking with filezilla in my rp3 i've found out that I have no "/etc/hyperion" folder.
    PLEASE help me T-T
    thank you!!
    here's some pictures, my "hyperion.config.json" file and my HyperionLog:

• When I start hyperion only the first 2 strips and half of the third works fine, other leds are randomly on.

I have found that the shorter the wires that go to and from the Rpi and the led strip can help. However if shortening the wires is not a option and you have double and triple checked that all connectors are seated firmly to the led strips you may need to add a "level shifter" to boost the signal level that the Rpi sends. search "level shifter" here for lots of good info.

looking with filezilla in my rp3 i've found out that I have no "/etc/hyperion" folder.

For OpenELEC "hyperion.config.json" it's located in "/storage/.config/"

Hope it's of help.

EDIT: Some more related detailed info ( https://raspberrypi.stackexcha…-ws2801-with-raspberry-pi )

• even with the level shifter nothing change.
    is it possible that the first led off is broken and it stops the data and/or clock signal?
    what should I do?

EDIT: I don't know if it depends on the level shifter I use, but this is the one I take:
    and i've connected it to the rpi3 and the led with female jumper cable

• I'm fairly sure if a led go's bad, every led after the bad led will stop working (till the bad led is replaced with a working led).

I don't know if it depends on the level shifter I use

Well kind of. There are lots of different level shifters. That one might work, I'm not familiar with it. I found out that 74AHCT125 level shifters are the recommended ones to use with led strips. They have never failed me.

Are all the ground wires connected together?

• i've connected both the 5V and GND from the beginning and the end of the strip to the power supply.
    is there an easy way to find out if the problem is a broken led? Or do i have to replace it with one of the led strip i didn't use?

• The only way ( I know of ) to test if a led go's bad, is to test the strip with working drivers/equipment. Maybe a ready made controller? like :

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!