1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Simple software WLED setup with Pi4 Kodi and PS4 Pro HDR

Discussion in 'Hyperion Setup Showcase' started by Puck, 24 April 2020.

1. Puck

Puck New Member

Hardware:
    +nodeMCU/ESP8266
    Hey Paul, you literally just quoted the automation I used in Home Assistant to toggle Hyperion on/off. I do not use it anymore though, since I now toggle UDP control directly in WLED which is a lot faster:

Code:
    - platform: rest
      name: wled_udp
      resource: http://192.168.0.50/json/state
      body_on: '{"lor": 0}'
      body_off: '{"lor": 1}'
      is_on_template: '{{value_json.lor == 0}}'
      headers:
        Content-Type: application/json

2. Paul Barden

Paul Barden New Member

Hardware:
    RPi3, +Arduino, +PhilipsHue, +nodeMCU/ESP8266

3. Paul Barden

Paul Barden New Member

Hardware:
    RPi3, +Arduino, +PhilipsHue, +nodeMCU/ESP8266
    I failed to see the automation the first time around :). Thanks for pointing it out.

I see the latest WLED release has the toggle for the UDP stream. I made a request amongst others some time ago on the WLED github.

Edit. So I too Moved to usb adalight for streaming some time ago but even with hyperion disabled adalight is always connected to the wled instance. When I override the instance I have no ability to power off the light. Do you also have this experience or have you moved back to UDP?. I've had some issue using UDP also and I cannot get it connected over raw UDP. Perhaps you could share your. Configuration page in sync settings (wled app) for your ambilight?

Your Ps4 solution also has me really intrigued because after all my setup with 4k switch/downscale etc - I eventually just had to unplug it all because my ps4 Pro would not display HDR with it connected. Very disappointing.

I will try your method tonight. Hyperion running with Ps4 Pro in Hdr is my preferred use case so here's hoping.

Last edited: 30 June 2020 at 02:32
  4. Lord-Grey

Lord-Grey Member Staff Member Developer

Hardware:
    RPi3, 32/64bit
    @Paul Barden "but even with hyperion disabled adalight is always connected to the wled instance. When I override the instance I have no ability to power off the light. Do you also have this experience or have you moved back to UDP"

You might want to look at LED Device Features, Fixes and Refactoring development item.
    It does care that network devices incl. UDP will not seed updates when the device is disabled.
    Furthermore, there is now a dedicated WLED device which leverage on the above, as well uses the WLED API to switch-off/on the WLED via it's API.

Hopefully, the changes on the hyperion/WLED integration & user experience will improve the situation you outlined.
    Furthermore, it is planned to discover WLED devices to ease configuration, but a WLED change is pending for supporting this scenario.
    You may want to test the development version or wait until changes make it to a release.

5. Puck

Puck New Member

Hardware:
    +nodeMCU/ESP8266
    Still using USB Adalight and I can toggle the override with the code mentioned above. WLED then switches to it's own UI and I can change the lights or toggle WLED on/off. I can even just toggle WLED off/on when receiving data from Hyperion so not sure what's going wrong on your side. I can share my config later when I'm back home again.

6. Puck

Puck New Member

Hardware:
    +nodeMCU/ESP8266
    These are my WLED settings, not sure how useful they are. The setting "Force max brightness" is easily overlooked and turning this OFF allows you to still control brightness even when external source is controlling the LEDs. Might be the why I can also turn it off?

[​IMG]

7. Puck

Puck New Member

Hardware:
    +nodeMCU/ESP8266
    Small update on my setup btw: I am now using an Nvidia Shield Pro (2019) as my main media player, which uses the Hyperion Android Grabber to send screendata to a Raspberry Pi 2 running Hyperion and with the WLED connected over USB. Works incredibly well, and can now watch 4K HDR with Ambilight.

Next step is to replace by 8 year old receiver with one that has a HDMI monitor and then also use a HDMI grabber for apps with DRM (Netflix and the likes). Hope to do that end of the year.