USB Capture not staying activated

• Hey everyone,

I've got Hyperion up and running on a

• with this
    • LEDs, and
    • to power LEDs and Raspberry Pi
    • Input coming from a Fire TV

Everything works normally when I first boot up the pi and the LEDs turn off as intended when I put the Fire TV to sleep. My problem now is that if the Fire TV is asleep for a long period of time (i.e overnight), then the USB capture device is turned off and the lights no longer turn on.

I can get them back on by going to “Remote Control” and disabling and then re-enabling USB capture. But as you can imagine, that’s less than ideal. One interesting thing that I should note is that the lights respond to the Fire TV being turned on initially, but then shut off again within 1 second.

Is there any way to fix this? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks everyone!

• I had that happen to me on my first Hyperion install, with a similar capture card. It turns out that my pi was having some under voltage issues due to a bad voltage regulator. That power supply might be a little weak for the pi and the capture card, maybe a 3 or 3.5 amp, but I'm just speculating. Although this probably has nothing to do with it, what are you using to power the leds?

• I had that happen to me on my first Hyperion install, with a similar capture card. It turns out that my pi was having some under voltage issues due to a bad voltage regulator. That power supply might be a little weak for the pi and the capture card, maybe a 3 or 3.5 amp, but I'm just speculating. Although this probably has nothing to do with it, what are you using to power the leds?

I currently have a 5V 8A brick powering both the pi and the LEDS. Interesting thought though. I can test out different power supplies to see if that changes anything, although I assumed the 8A would be enough.

• That seems like plenty to me

So I tested a different power supply and the issue persists. It seems as though the USB Capture Card is disabled when the pi idles for an extended period of time (or there’s no signal being passed through it). So then Hyperion no longer sees it as a device.

That’s my best guess at least. Is there any way to prevent the USB device from sleeping/idling?

• I had the exact same issue, I was powering the Pi zero and the LEDS with a 12A supply. I looked into the logs and the issue for me was the USB capture card wasn't getting enough power. My current workaround is to additionally power the Pi with a separate 5V supply via microUSB.
    The error I was seeing when the USB capture turned off was "VIDIOC_QBUF error code 19, No such device"

Looking at your capture card its the same as the one I have

• I had the exact same issue, I was powering the Pi zero and the LEDS with a 12A supply. I looked into the logs and the issue for me was the USB capture card wasn't getting enough power. My current workaround is to additionally power the Pi with a separate 5V supply via microUSB.
    The error I was seeing when the USB capture turned off was "VIDIOC_QBUF error code 19, No such device"

Looking at your capture card its the same as the one I have

Ah interesting! I’m not great with “power”, but I did see that the USB capture card draws 2.5W. Maybe there’s not enough power from the 5V 8A brick to power the pi, the LEDs, and the capture card?

Anyhow, I’m currently testing it using a powered USB hub to power the capture card to hopefully cut the pi some slack. I’ll report back in a day or two to give ample time for testing.

Thanks for all the help thus far!

• 2.5w means it draws 0.5A from the brick.
    The Pi itself draws at least 2A.
    So you have approximately 5A remaining for your LEDs, allowing you to use properly between 90 and 100 LEDs.
    If you have more than 100 LEDs in your setup, yes that 8A power brick is too weak.

Consider 0,06A per LED, and 3A for the pi and the capture card. This way you Can determine what power brick you need.

• 2.5w means it draws 0.5A from the brick.
    The Pi itself draws at least 2A.
    So you have approximately 5A remaining for your LEDs, allowing you to use properly between 90 and 100 LEDs.
    If you have more than 100 LEDs in your setup, yes that 8A power brick is too weak.

Consider 0,06A per LED, and 3A for the pi and the capture card. This way you Can determine what power brick you need.

Thank you for the info! Super helpful. I think I fixed the issue. I made two changes so I’m not sure which is the true resolution. Anyway, I ended up switching the capture card to a USB 2.0 under the assumption it’ll draw less power. I also gave the pi it’s own 5V 3A power supply. It’s been working for two straight days now, so I’ll consider this solved!

Thanks again everyone!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!