Flickering on bright colors.... odd..

• So, for today, a holiday weekend, raining all weekend... sigh. So I deiced to work this. I got rid of the UNO, and just went with the PI on GPIO 18. Re-followed Dr.Z's video just for reminder things. I did grab a new HDMI capture device, one that was rated pretty good from others here.

With dropping the resolution down to 720 X 480, the lag is very little but, still there. A lot less than I could get with the UNO.

Had to drop the brightness down to 80% or red images (or any very bright color) would be a flicker/flashing fest. I am wondering why I need to do this ? I got a 5v 30a power supply, way over powered for what I actually need. Is the flicker due to power issues AKA lack of power ?

I used to have a 5v 10a PS doing this before (same amount of LEDs, with the old JAVA based Hyperion app), never a single flicker. I figured bigger supply would give better results... I guess not.

I'll have to play with it for a little bit but, looking good so far...

• Flickering could be a sign for unstable 5 Volts from the power supply. If you have a adjustable PS, make sure that stable 5V coming from the output.

Grüße aus Österreich / Greetings from Austria !

- Don't wanna miss it anymore !

• Flickering could be a sign for unstable 5 Volts from the power supply. If you have a adjustable PS, make sure that stable 5V coming from the output.

Back the thread, my voltage was higher, like 5.09v, with some trial and error, I got it to exactly 5v.

I tested this many times though out the process...

It's why I question it. 80% is fine but, just in case I want more range I would love to figure it out.

• Hi all,

Still been playing with this. So I got as new capture device and after a while the LEDs would go off after my screen flashing/resyncing. We'll long story short, I just added the PI power supply back, and all is resolved. I really wanted to have 1 power supply for this whole thing but, it's not really working like I want. I think my capture device just needs a little more power.

I got the LAG almost to nothing, very, very, very minor, and happy about that but, flickering still happens. If I take the brightness down to 60% it's only when the brightest image is on you can see very, very slight flickering (it's almost gone here) but, 60% is too low.

I find at 75-80% brightness it looks good and is bright enough but, flickering on bright images can get pretty bad at times.

I checked voltages. While running the LEDs with CN on (normally very bright images), I was seeing between 5.00v and 4.99v. I adjusted just a little, at idle it will be 5.004v, but, with a load, it's 5.00v solid, even on bright images.

I have 1 ground to the PI but, it's solid right to the power supply. Any other things I can try here ? It's almost there but, this flickering need to stop and having fairly bright would be nice.

• I have 1 ground to the PI but, it's solid right to the power supply.

use at least 2 GND pins, ground everything to everything

• So, I have been troubleshooting this issue for quite a while, if I drop down to 50% or so, it does not flash any more but, it's to low unless the room is pitch black.

This weekend I wanted to try some things. The PI is connected via the 30a 5v power supply. On the PI I ran 2 more ground cables and this resulted in no change.

I took a longer cable, soldered it to the middle ground on LEDs (so, ground at start, even and middle) and that fixed it.

Changed to 100% brightness, not a single flicker...and lag is very little if any so it's working perfect now.

Still some minor other issues but, over all working great now...

• i had also a problem with my lights>> flickering on the ledstrip with some leds sometimes. ( flickering was appearing and fade away)

hardware configuration was still the same, so did some tests >> it was not the baudrate/software/hardware or connections.

upgraded to 2.11 from 2.10 still the same problems.

it was the Raspi, after i put the SD card into second Raspi ( i have backup Raspi) everything was back to normal.

this setup is identical only Raspi isn't the 3b+ but the 3b now.

i am going to use the 3b+ for Retropie now :) which doesn't need SPI connections.

• I use a 3b, it's one I have had for a while now. I picked it up JUST for this project. After this tweak of running another ground, it seems no flickering now. I just wish I could get the LAG down to 0... It's there, minor but, it's there.

Yea, I could lower it to 640 by 480 to minimize it but, I want detail if possible, so I run a little lower 720P on it @ 60fps, Would a PI 4 allow for like 1080p detail(I'm sure a true 720P would be enough for reasonable detail) and No lag ?

Or is there another trick to this, tried all the baudrate / software / hardware as listed in this thread alone....

Does the newest version help with this ? I have not upgraded yet but, was planning to..

My capture device does up to 4K @ 60hz, I want one that is lagless and supports up to 4k @ 120hz...

• 720P on it @ 60fps

way to high, Raspi 3b cant render this that fast, you will get delays in live feed.

20FPS is more than enough.

you don't need a 4k or 1080p videostream resolution into your Raspi USB port to Hyperion to produce nice colours.

• Quote from TheCoolDave

My capture device does up to 4K @ 60hz, I want one that is lagless and supports up to 4k @ 120hz...

This is Paasthrough or input for the Grabber, not the Grabber result. ;)

regards pclin

Dreambox ONE / TWO
    Amlogic S922X - 53.000 DMIPS - 2 GB RAM - 16 GB Flash - Twin-DVB-S2X Tuner - HDR10 - HLG
    -
    AudioDSP: miniDSP 2x4HD - Lautsprecher ELAC
    LG 65' SUHD
    -
    hyperion (classic) & Plugin HyperionControl | hyperion-ng alpha.10 (dreamOS)
    Hyperion-ng (Debian Buster)
    -
    6 x Wemos D1 mini - WLED - SK6812 RGBW-NW 60 LEDs/m
    5-Port HDMI Switch - FeinTech VSP01201 - Grabber Macrosilicon

snoozer_likelinux_manvtkns.gif

Ambilight for ever

Edited once, last by pclin ().

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!