Hyperion.ng vs Hyperion 'classic'

• Apologies for such a naff first post, but I've done a fair amount of Googling and not found the required answer really.

I've got a Raspberry Pi 3 hooked up to a USB Adalight I bought from Aliexpress. Works really well. I've got two SD cards, both running LibreElec 18.9 (no interest in upgrading currently) set to capture the screen rather than via a grabber. One SD runs the old Hyperion classic as it might be known and one is running Hyperion.ng with the bells and whistles GUI frontend.

From the actual lighting perspective, is there any actual benefit to .NG or are the improvements in the feature offerings? Don't get me wrong, the web frontend is great but it's a feature I'm going to use rarely. I used it to setup the screen layout obviously, but other than that, I won't be logging on to play around.

Really, what I am looking for is stability in the solution and while .NG is great, I believe that it's currently in alpha on LibreElec, I used this script to install it:

Externer Inhalt gist.github.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

As far as I can see, both solutions work great but if the only real benefit is the frontend, then I might stick to the old reliability of classic. Again, apologies for such a rubbish first post.

Thanks

• but all of those are kind of extras? I suppose what I want is something I don't need touch very often. Is the NG really a step up? If so, yeah I'll use it. Just not sure myself

I don't feel like I know whether NG is actually significantly better...

• Offizieller Beitrag

make a backup from your sd-card, flash hyperbian image to your sd card, setup and try out hyperion-ng, if you dont like it, reflash your image and everything works like before

• Thanks for your reply. I have two SD cards, one with NG and one without. They both work very similarly to be fair. I wouldn't say one is 'better' than the other, although the web frontend is obviously convenient. Hence why I remain curious if there's a benefit to one over the other? Is one more stable? Does one use less resource? Is the bias lighting algorithm the same in both codebases?

Thanks

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!