Options for a huge LED screen (>20meters led strip)

• Hello guys, I am new to this forum and I start asking about a "strange" setup. The goal is to provide external ambilight to a led screen with about 20 meters lenght. We are talking about 20x60=1200 ws2812b leds as I only need ambilight on the upper side of the screen. This would be the minimum acceptable but I want to drive more leds using led strips of 72 or even get 144led/m to perform a very powerful impact to the audience (144x20: 2880 leds)

I am doing some testing with different methods provided by hyperion (artnet, pwm gpio...) but it seems some kind of limit on maximum led count. For example, using artnet I cannot see how to setup many different universes (needed to manage too much leds) so it is not a way to do it.

I think this problem would be the same using an usb-dmx interface, no way to setup many of them?

Ideas are welcome!

Best regards.

• Zur hilfreichsten Antwort springen
  • ESP with WLED, 490 LEDs are possible via WiFi/UDP. 6 instances in Hyperion with 6 ESP gives a maximum of 2940 LEDs. For an optimal result I would recommend SK6812 RGBW LEDs.

WLED kann auch E1.31 DMX, Art-Net und tpm2net

• 170 LEDs (510 DMX channels) are supported per universe.
    • You can use up to 9 adjacent universes which is a total of more than the maximum 1500 LEDs WLED can drive.

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

regards pclin

• Thanks by your reply, pclin. Tomorrow I will test your proposal, I have a few esp32 here and some led strips to start testing setup and speed.

Although, I am worried about many ESP on same network related to IP changed on reboot (if dhcp) and so on. If IPs changes all image to leds would be wrong. I would need to modify WLED fw somehow (static IPs, unique identity...) and even hyperion to know about ID and no about IPs. Let me think about...

Best regards,

undeporaki

• Hilfreichste Antwort

With the SK6812 RGBW, 60 LEDs/m are sufficient, that would be 3 ESP via WiFi/UDP, 59 ampere PSU.

3 x 20 amp PSU. 3 instances in Hyperion.

Divide the 20 meters into 3 segments, power each segment with a WLED and a PSU. Feed power from the power pack at least 3 times per segment, front middle and end.

regards pclin

ps.

Static IP is not a problem with WLED. With DHCP in the router specify that the same IP is always assigned. 20+ ESP in the same WLAN work without any problems.

pps.

There is also ESP32 with Ethernet port. ESP32 is also better if you want to use e.g. WLED Sound Reactive or LEDfx

EDIT:

You have to copy the LED layout for the 3 instances created as shown in the pictures and then paste them into the respective 3 WLED instances.

Hyperion reads the number of LEDs from WLED, so you can't set 1200 in the layout.

• Wow, you almost do all the work! Many thanks by your complete reply.

I will follow your advise, It makes sense to me (setup and also power setup). Tomorrow a little test and I will post results. Thanks.

Best regards,

undeporaki

• Hello! I have tested a few things using ESP32 and WLED firmware. Best work for me was using "wled" as hardware controller, I managed 432 leds with on esp32 and using "udpe131" seems to act as an artner node and limit to 170 leds/universe. With "wled" no problems to control these number of leds. Speed and latency are good enough for my application.

Now, I have problems setting up 2 instances of 2 ESP32 wled controllers. Maybe I misunderstand how pclin explained it because I will try to setup an layout screen for 864 leds, in order to set 432 leds each wled controller.... but it shows an error an doesn´t allow to do it.

Maybe it is on another part of configuration panel, I must looking for.

Best regards,

undeporaki

• Look at my screenshots...

You need the Classic Layout + Blacklist LEDs

Controller type: WLED is better than udpe131, Hyperion then also controls WLED.

regards pclin

• Hello again, no luck yet. I set every instance with each layout file and set blacklist too for every instance but the problem is that do not allow to save. So, when I enter again to any instance, all data of the layout file seems overwritten and limited to each 432 leds...

If I press save button, it shows an error pop-up and if not, no changes applied.

Do you know if there is a way to force this setup (writing config file through a terminal or so on)?

I am using latest hyperbian image on a rpi4, maybe latests version has a bug here?

Version2.0.12
    Build(HEAD detached at 2.0.12) (GitHub-dc6aa4d/df14958-1637501177)
    Build dateNov 21 2021 17:25:12
    • Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat

If IPs changes all image to leds would be wrong. I would need to modify WLED fw somehow (static IPs, unique identity...)

Hyperion can deal with hostnames. No need to configure IP-Adresses.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If I press save button, it shows an error pop-up and if not, no changes applied.

The LED count at the device is the LED number the device has physically.

The number of LEDs to be used is defined within the layout.

Therefore, you can save layouts with less LEDs to be used, but not more LEDs than physically (or supported).

The error is exactly there to prevent misconfigurations you are trying to do.

• Lord-Grey

is solved see here

regards pclin

Dreambox ONE / TWO

dreamOS OE2.6

Amlogic S922X - 53.000 DMIPS - 2 GB RAM - 16 GB Flash - Twin-DVB-S2X Tuner - HDR10 - HLG
    -
    AudioDSP: miniDSP 2x4HD - Amp: Pentagon - Lautsprecher ELAC / ARENDAL
    LG OLED65BX9LB (PicCap, hyperion.NG webOS)

FireTV 4K max

-
    hyperion (classic) & Plugin HyperionControl | hyperion-ng 2.0.16-beta.1 (dreamOS)
    Hyperion-ng (Debian bullseye)
    -
    6 x ESP32/Wemos D1 mini - WLED - SK6812 RGBW-NW 60 LEDs/m
    FeinTech VSP01201 - Grabber Macrosilicon

LG TV Hyperion webOS & PicCap

snoozer_likelinux_manvtkns.gif

Ambilight for ever

• Hello Lord-Grey.

Finally, I understood about led count and lyout management. I have a simple mind so I would prefer to have a "total led count" on an unique layout panel and assign there the leds used bay any interface... but it is ok, no need to make an effort to change that.

Regarding network configuration, I have just configure my raspberry running hyperion as an AP so no problems with IPs as I can control all devices on the AP network.

ummm, you said we can use hostnames, but I do not why hyperion doesn´t find wled devices if I do not put the IP. I will search the forum about.

Thanks!

• Offizieller Beitrag

ummm, you said we can use hostnames, but I do not why hyperion doesn´t find wled devices if I do not put the IP. I will search the forum about.

Maybe you need to put the hostname with the local domain name.

It might depend how your router defines hostnames. I have seen that some have IP and hostname the same.

Maybe you try to ssh to your rpi and ping the WLED device. The name that works under the OS will work with Hyperion too.

edit: I am currently working on mDNS support where WLED devices will be discovered automatically and then their logical service name be used.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!