Can I use a PC Power Supply?

• Hey Everyone!

I'm at the final stages of my current install and I'm always thinking of how I could make things better next time. My TV setup uses a single 16ft strip of 5V LEDs. However, my friend has a TV that would need two strips of 16ft LEDs. For his, I am considering suggesting 12V LED strips. But, that got me thinking about the power supply and needing both a 12V source for the LEDs and a 5V source for the Raspberry Pi controller.

Could I use a regular PC power supply for that setup?

I know PC power supplies have both 5V and 12V outputs, are well grounded, and are generally higher quality compared to the typical generic barrel-jack power supplies. I suspect the answer could be one or more of:

• Yes, this is a well-known solution used by many. [see threads/tutorials here]
    • No, this is not a good idea for [reasons].
    • Why has nobody suggested this before? It's a great idea!

My brain was going and I needed someone to check my sanity here.

Thanks for your help!!

• Hilfreichste Antwort

know PC power supplies have both 5V and 12V outputs, are well grounded, and are generally higher quality compared to the typical generic barrel-jack power supplie

Its true. And yes you can fo that. In fact i did that already in the beginning but found out i 🔥 2 of those PC cpu (they were already old)

DC power is very steady and clean so go for it!! I was just unlucky i quess and switched to Meanwell PSU

look at my video of the relaisbox there you can see the PSU of thr old PC

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Ambientheater77 () aus folgendem Grund: Merged a post created by Lightning-guy77 into this post.

• Phade

Hat einen Beitrag als hilfreichste Antwort ausgewählt.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!