Flickering LEDs with Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W and 12V WS2815 LED Stripe trying to implement ambilight behing my TV

• Hey guys,

I try to install my hyperion ambilight but I observe crazy flickering which I can not explain and can not find any reason. In this video you can observce the filickering:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZRuUd3fDUkEDv9ch8

Here are two pictures to show my "setup", currently just for test purposes.

Raspberry pi zero w2 / 2 W gets power via usb and ground (white cable) is connected to the 12V power supply ground. Blue cable is the data line. I connected it to the Data Input of the ws2815 led stripe.

WS2815 led stripe gets power from 12V power supply. Data back-up line is connected to ground.

Any ideas why I get this flickering?

What I tried so far:

- I used a esp32 to check if the LEDs and cabeling works and it does. So I think problem is to operate the ws2815 led stripe via raspberry pi?!

So how can I fix the flickering with the raspberry --> ws2815 led stripe?

Maybe another fix: Can I use a setup with the following configuration: raspberry pi for hyperion --> esp32 with wled --> ws2815 led stripe? Any documentation about this?

Thanks in advance for any help and support!

• Zitat

Data back-up line is connected to ground.

Why? How should this work?

Data back-up line belongs to Data

raspberry pi for hyperion --> esp32 with wled --> ws2815 led

works and is a good solution.

Welcome to WLED - WLED Project

regards pclin

• pclin thanks for your reply and the wled wire illustration!

In the meantime, I got hyperrion to work on a wled device (which is shown on the second picture) which operates a LED stripe under my side board where tv is mounted. But it seems that there is some delay, maybe due to network latency and for this reason I want to do it via the rasp pi directly and using a wled device for controlling the stripes.

Here is my hyperion LED stripe configuration:

Here is a new video after I put both data and data backup to the blue cable of the raspberry as told by pclin: https://photos.app.goo.gl/zTwJ3UEYdQne6a926

However, I did not see any improvement :( Please take a look at the video.

But I found something crazy: after removing the ground cable, the LED already works / lights are on. Only when I remove the data cables or the 12V, the led turns directly completly of. Is this normal? Any ideas what is wrong with my installation?

Do I need a level shifter for the data line as on the esp32? Or a resistor? I connected the data line directly to the WS2815 LED stripe.

Thanks for any help!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!