Flickering LEDs only with external grabber / Videos attatched

• Hmmm..

If possible, try attaching a computer monitor to the splitter (with tv attached) to see the image it's passing along to the converter.

If its clear, then I would suspect the hdmi2av converter.

Might be able to test the hdmi2av converter (and grabber) with something else that output's video with hdmi. A dvd player or a laptop with hdmi out, even a desktop computer.

Could test the usb grabber with something that output to rca style connectors. A dvd player or camcorder maybe.

• If possible, try attaching a computer monitor to the splitter (with tv attached) to see the image it's passing along to the converter.

The splitter is definitely not responsible for the interference - because I already did plug in the external HDMI device directly to the Converter and the problem stays the same. Or what do you mean here? My english is good, but not perfect haha :)

Might be able to test the hdmi2av converter (and grabber) with something else that output's video with hdmi. A dvd player or a laptop with hdmi out, even a desktop computer.

I tested other HDMI devices - the problem is still there.

Could test the usb grabber with something that output to rca style connectors. A dvd player or camcorder maybe.

I am already trying to find a device which has a video output. So that I can plug in this device directly to the grabber (after that I can see if the problem comes from the converter or not)

EDIT1:
    Okay, I did take an old Pi 1 (has a composite video slot) and connected it directly to the grabber (without converter and splitter). Unfortunately the problem stays the same, but the colorful lines are gone. See attatched picture of the grabber (on the old Pi 1 I also have installed Libreelec)

• Hey, i have the same problem with my setup. I've got the APA102 but the problem is exactly the same. I already tried to switch out every part to see if one of them is causing the issue, but the problem still persists. My setup also worked flawlessly until a power outage a few months ago, after they fixed the power outage the problem started. An interesting fact is, that the flickering changes with the set frequency (e.g. high frequency = fast flickering and low frequency = slow flickering). Also i use double shielded cables for data and clock... so that's that.

• All of the ground wires are tied together, correct?
    A loose ground wire can cause similar reactions.

And with that, I'm out of ideas on a remedy.
    Sorry. :(. .

• Hi, I had the same setup and flickering and solved it this way:
    Signal from Source (PC) is 60Hz. HDMI 2 AV converter is in NTSC mode. There is a little slider next to the power input. (NTSC is 59.94Hz). And set the value of the grabber property "standard" to "NTSC".

So it might be the same for you that the input is 60Hz (likely if you are in the EU).

Before the slider was on "PAL". Which works with 50Hz and can cause this kind of flickering due to different frequencies. Imagine it like someone talking too fast and you can understand most but not all of the words.

Changing the baudrate, core_freq or other frequencies changed the behavior of the 'random' flickering. But did not lead to a solution for me.

Now there is only a little flickering left in extreme situation like: left half of the screen black(#000000) and right half of the screen dark grey(#111111). Only the LED's right on the edge between these two colors are flickering a little bit. But that is due to the fact, that the converter does not provide a static output for a static input. Therefore true black input does not imply true black output. This flickering gets a little bit reduced by enabling the smoothing feature.

• Hello Muriturus,

thanks for your reply. I will imediately try that when I come home.

But did I understand that right..? You want me to switch the slider of the HDMI 2 AV Conveter to NTSC? And furthermore change the grabber setting in the configfile to NTSC aswell?

Thanks for confirming. I am not sure about this.

BR

Manuel

• Hello Muriturus,

I did try that, but that did not help :(

For your information.. I also have this problem when I use external ambilight only with the grabber and not with converter and splitter.

Thanks for your help

BR

Manuel

• Hi all,
    i am running into exactly the same problem ... i got an RPi 2 with APA102 ...
    On bright scenes, no problem but on darker scenes there is a nervous flickering on some LEDs, especially the non-white ones.
    I tried / changed nearly everything. There is no flickering on my captured image. If i freeze the screen you can see it very clearly. This must be some interference stuff impacting the grabber chain since there is no problem with testing internal grabber or setting solid colors from hyperion client. Ill try the ntsc workaround but i am pretty sure that will make no difference ...

• okay, with change to NTSC: no approvement ... :(

As a side note: I already ran this setup with a WS2812B Strip with no problems ... this may have to do something with the APA102 ... but i dont know what :/

• Might have found something when testing the stream from the grabber. It produces a lot of noise that could lead to make Hyperion creates that flickering. Maybe a faulty UTV007 or HDMI to rca...

• I fixed the LEDs flickering by adjusting the Grabber cropping, so that there were no margins:

The margins had visual artifacts and noise, hence the flicker. I have used "Take grabber screenshot" to see where are my margins.

My grabber had no option to switch to NTSC, seems to be fully automatic. Id does work only while set to NTSC in Hyperion.

Grabber: LogiLink
    LED strip: APA102.

• I have the exact same problem. Die LEDS are flickering like in the video you've posted. Also just when im using the external grabber. Ever since im using the internal grabber everything is fine. I changed the external graber and the hdmi splitter but the problem still persists. I have also the APA102 from AliExpress.

So it seems like thats a bigger problem, maybe a software problem.

• Hey Guys,

dunno if someone is still following this thread...but yeah I have the same problem with APA Leds as described above: I get some flickering at darker scenes. But what I registered beside my flickering was LEDs staying on regardless a pitch black image. So after I couldn't solve my problem with the flickering, I try to scrutinize the other one:

LEDs stay on at black color

So right now the flickering is mostly gone at darker scenes but you have to finde your own value for threshold.

• sorry for digging this up but after playing around with all the workarounds suggested here which ultimately resulted in a deteriorated picture (cropped / colors washed out) , i think i found an actual solution to this problem:

(this is on hyperion.NG):go to Capture Hardware Tab -> USB Capture -> shrink factor (or whatever it is called in english): 2

what happened for me is this: checking the live video feed i now have a much more stable image (less flickering around the edges) and thus the LED flickering is gone. CPU load on my RPI4 didn't really make a big jump (sits at around ~20%) but image quality improved heaps. Of course the results are even better if you set the value to 1 but then my RPI4 shows cpu loads at around 60%

seems like the problem was just that the image received after the splitter->converter->capture orgy was just flickering as hell with the shrink factor set to default (8 or something, can't remember) and thus hyperion tried its best to reproduce this for the LEDs^^

anyway, maybe this helps somebdy

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!