n00b questions

• Hello everyone, I've only very recently discovered this project and I'm very excited; it looks like you have a great community here and I can't wait to get involved :)

Now, I apologise in advance for what are probably _very_ stupid questions, I have searched around for the answers but I feel I must be missing something.

• Why do most people seem to go first with the hdmi splitter > converter > grabber input method? Given the issues with resolution matching I don't understand the advantage of choosing the HDMI as the grabber input.
    • What is the max resolution Hyperion can actually handle?
    • If a 4K @60Hz signal gets passed through a HDMI grabber that outputs PAL/NTSC format will it not be output at 720x576 @25Hz or 720x486 @30hz respectively?
    • Unless you equip your TV with similar number of LED as pixels then what's the point? The limiting factor will always be the number of LED won't it?

Honestly, I'm not trolling. Please forgive my ignorance, I'm very new to this sort of thing :)

I'm trying to get together the parts I need to get this running with my setup (4K) but it seems to me that unless I was going to fit 3840x2180 LEDs on my TV (imagine the power consumption!) then I don't need anything even close to an HD signal to feed the image grabber.

I have a Sony STR-DN1050 AVR, which can output at 4K, connecting my PS4 Pro and Xbox my 4K TV over a single HDMI (ARC). Obviously, I don't want to cripple the 4K signal by placing a lower resolution device in the HDMI chain. But, my amp also has a composite video out so I'm hoping I can just connect a grabber directly to that. Has anyone else done this?

• Offizieller Beitrag

1. cause there is no hdmi input...
    2. more than your eyes can see
    3. yes, but you dont need 4k@60hz for your leds
    4.did you really understand the ambilight system? you install the leds AROUND your tv...

• Thanks for the response @TPmodding though I think maybe I did not make myself clear :)

1. I understand that, but I see even people with a composite video out choosing an hdmi source to to feed the grabber instead. This I don't understand.
    2. Naturally. My question is only so that I can understand the limitation of the software. No reason beyond my curiosity.
    3. I'm not trying to get a 4K signal to my leds. I'm curious why others appear to want to process a 4k signal in the first place.
    4. Yes, I understand that. I have ws2818b leds @30led/m.

Thanks for your patience :)

• Thanks for the response @TPmodding though I think maybe I did not make myself clear :)

1. I understand that, but I see even people with a composite video out choosing an hdmi source to to feed the grabber instead. This I don't understand.
    2. Naturally. My question is only so that I can understand the limitation of the software. No reason beyond my curiosity.
    3. I'm not trying to get a 4K signal to my leds. I'm curious why others appear to want to process a 4k signal in the first place.
    4. Yes, I understand that. I have ws2818b leds @30led/m.

Thanks for your patience :)

If i can explain with a few words and pictures

When you want to make an ambilight system you have many ways to do that

Look this picture i made for my blog to explain the different installation with hyperion. ( many others here https://ambimod.jimdo.com/2017/05/25/tour-d-horizon-des-schémas-d-installations-ambilight-réalisable-avec-un-raspberry-ou-autre-et-hyperion/ )

You can see that i use a AVR with double HDMI out. If you have 4K, the AVR will downscale the signal to work with the HDMI2av and keep the 4K signal on the 2nd one connect to the TV.

You can find HDMI2av in 1080p or 4K@30Hz. The 2nd one can be usefull if you haven't AVR for example and 4K devices, nevermind.

This device convert source HDMI ( Numeric ) into Cinch ( Analog ) to make it working with the VideoGrabber using a Cinch connexion. This Videograbber is detect like an USB Video Capture device on MicroPC

You can found a combo HDMI2AV + VideoGrabber ( HDMI VideoGrabber ) but it only support 50/60Hz and it's not working with 24p.

Here you can see the traditional way using Switch, Splitter and HDMI2AV ( on the right )

And an Ambilight Over the Air Method ( on the Left with AVR ) using Video Screen Capture or Kodi Ambilight Addons.

If 4K source --> 4K devices needed ( Switch, Splitter or AVR to keep 4K signal on TV ) --> 4K@30HZ HDMI2AV or 4K@60Hz Downscaler + 1080p HDMI2AV --> VIdeograbber

If 1080p --> 1080p devices needed ( Switch, Splitter, HDMI2AV or AVR ) --> Videograbber

I hope it's more clear now :)

• For your first question:

• Why do most people seem to go first with the hdmi splitter > converter > grabber input method? Given the issues with resolution matching I don't understand the advantage of choosing the HDMI as the grabber input.

My anwer would be because lots of people like me use digital AV receiver and AV receivers might have only 1 output via HDMI (or 2 HDMI for lucky ones). For example I have got Onkyo 656 and I am lucky because it has got 2 HDMI out but nothing else for out.

• You can see that i use a AVR with double HDMI out. If you have 4K, the AVR will downscale the signal to work with the HDMI2av and keep the 4K signal on the 2nd one connect to the TV.

Thank you, this is very useful explanation. I wrongly assumed most AVR also had analog video outputs as well.

For your first question:

My anwer would be because lots of people like me use digital AV receiver and AV receivers might have only 1 output via HDMI (or 2 HDMI for lucky ones). For example I have got Onkyo 656 and I am lucky because it has got 2 HDMI out but nothing else for out.

Ah, now that make sense. Thank you. I guess I'm lucky then, as my amp also has both component and composite video outputs in addition to 2x HDMI out.

Thanks both for your responses, much appreciated :)

• May I ask a noob question as well here :)

I have not been able to setup my ambilight system but if I use it it will be Rasperry + Libreelec.

And may I ask how do you start and stop Hyperion for everytime booting Raspberry? Do we have to use Hypercon all the time to do it or is there a simple way from software perspective (of course for hardware solution, we can unplug grabber and it will stop :omg:) ?

Regards

• Emre, i'm very disapointed :p

To answer at your question that depend how you install hyperion :
    - With Kodi repository
    - With HyperCon .

If you choose Kodi Repository Addons you will add hyperion icon into your installed addons and can do an enable/disable hyperion if you want. Note that Hyperion daemon will start each time you boot your raspberry like a service and if you want to reboot hyperion you can do it on Kodi.

If you choose HyperCon installation method ( or command line ) a script line was inserted into your autostart.sh file into /storage/.config folder. If you want to start/restart your hyperiond daemon you need to do on ssh windows :
    - killall hyperiond then hyperiond /path to your config file

If you want you can use Connectbot smartphone app to add this command on a widget and do it on 1 clic. I saw an addon too to crontol this daemon on Kodi i guess. You can also take a look https://github.com/Schamper/hyperion-switcher

Edit : i forgot hyperion remote control i don't think you can stop the daemon.

• @AmbiMod, thank you. It's your fault as your blog is fully French and Google Translate is not helping a lot :roflmao: Just kidding, thank you very much How cannot I think you had to write a code of course :D

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!