1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I use 60 LEDs/m APA102 for a 55" TV?

Discussion in 'Hyperion General' started by ntdmr, 19 September 2016.

1. ntdmr

ntdmr New Member

Hi All,

Awesome project, going to give this a go for my 55" TV. I already have a HTPC running KODI so my plan is to set this up on my pi and then use the kodi plugin. I believe it is possible to run Hyperion this way (server/client) on 2 separate devices?

I have seen the 60 LEDs/m and wondering if I can use these instead?

I have been reading the No Soldering guide (https://hyperion-project.org/threads/raspberry-pi-3-mediacenter-hyperion-ambilight-no-soldering.77/) and it mentions:
    • Attention: If you use more then 32leds/m we run into power issues and the strip is more then 10mm width (which is not compatible with our connectors)
    • Attention: This solution has a limit of around 100LEDs, cause the connectors are not capable to handle the power delivery!
    The problem seems to suggest power delivery and the connectors....
    I can get the soldering done for me. But should I be using any particular cable/wire for the corners?
    Even with the soldering, should I be using a power supply with more power for 60 LEDs/m for a 55" TV (Probably be around 4/5m). e.g. https://www.amazon.co.uk/KeerSen-Switching-Regulated-Transformer-Protection/dp/B01DDTYM7G
    5V30A, 5V40A, 5V50A, 5V60A?

Thanks!

2. Cédric Laubacher

Cédric Laubacher Pukinator

Hardware:
    RPi1/Zero, RPi3, +PhilipsHue
  3. ntdmr

ntdmr New Member

Thanks!

With regards to the LED -> LED connectors, I can't use them because the 60LEDs/m is a thicker strip so will have to solder instead?
    Do I need to get wire rated for up to 20A?

4. darkside40

darkside40 New Member

Hardware:
    RPi1/Zero, 32/64bit, +nodeMCU/ESP8266
    Good question, i got these connector before i have read that they are not suitable.
    Any wire recommendation?

5. penfold42

penfold42 Moderator Developer

Hardware:
    RPi1/Zero, RPi2, RPi3, 32/64bit, +Arduino, +nodeMCU/ESP8266
    By my maths you have about 220 LEDs which will pull 13 amps.

If you power it from each corner you only 4 and a bit amps per corner.

Thick speaker wire should be fine

6. ntdmr

ntdmr New Member

Thanks! Going to order all the parts this week.

7. danielfmo

danielfmo New Member

Hardware:
    RPi2, 32/64bit, +Arduino, +nodeMCU/ESP8266
    Keep us posted :)

I'll start a similar project soon.

8. ntdmr

ntdmr New Member

I'll take photos/notes as I go.
    I've realised my TV is wall-mounted right up against the bottom of my TV bench. Making the bottom row of lights pointless. So step 1 - Move my TV!

9. danielfmo

danielfmo New Member

Hardware:
    RPi2, 32/64bit, +Arduino, +nodeMCU/ESP8266
    I don't know about your setup, but I've already use hyperion with WS2801 strip in a 50" TV and a fixed wall mount.
    To get the best results I had to add some spacers to the wall mount in order to have the back of the TV at around 6cm of the wall.
    I've also added a plastic rail that allows me to fix the LED strip with an angle of around 30 degrees.

10. penfold42

Hardware:
    I got a 10mm wide strip of plastic and cut it into 4 lengths and used the adhesive backing on the led strips to stick it down.

Then I 3D printed some 45 degree wedges - 4 on each side and 6 along the top and bottom. These were glued to the strip and then blu-tak to hold them to the back of the tv.

11. ntdmr

ntdmr New Member

Sounds good. I'll need to find some plastic rails and wedges

12. penfold42

Hardware:
    I cut down a length of pvc rectangular downpjpe - it was a bitch to do on the table saw.

You could also use Lego bits for the angled wedges - those 2x2 or 2x4 with a sloping front could work