1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

REQUEST Music mode

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by toreandre, 5 July 2016.

1. toreandre

toreandre New Member

Hardware:
    RPi2
    Would it be possible to add a music mode?

I have seen the ws28xx leds been used as graphic equalizers so it responds to the different frequenzys of the music that is being played.
    Like this

Would it be possible to this with hyperion?

2. Doc.Ex

Doc.Ex Member

Hardware:
    RPi2, +PhilipsHue
    I think @RanzQ was working on a functionality like that. See here: https://github.com/RanzQ/hyperion-audio-effects
    But I never tried it, because I use Windows 10. But maybe a Audio-Stream functionality could be incorporated with the windows grabber in the future. This way the the audio-effects could collaborate with the win grabber. @Rick164 : Do you think this is a viable point on the roadmap for the win grabber? I personally don't really need it, because with windows you can use the visualisations and that works pretty nice with the ambilight.

3. redPanther

redPanther Moderator Developer

Hardware:
    RPi1/Zero, RPi2, 32/64bit, +Arduino
    This youtube thing isn't frequncy based, it's just volume based. The arduino code can be ported to a hyperion effect, but biggest problem is to get the audio in. In linux you have since pulsaudio no standard always available audio interface. That makes it hard to get a good solution. ...

4. penfold42

penfold42 Moderator Developer

Hardware:
    RPi1/Zero, RPi2, RPi3, 32/64bit, +Arduino, +nodeMCU/ESP8266
    I've been thinking about this for a while ...

Gstreamer and audio capture seems like an awfully complex hack.

For the kodi use case, I think we need to take a standard visualization and simply get it to spit out the FFT buckets for us to consume

5. redPanther

Hardware:
    best (and most complex) way would be supporting multiple audio interfaces. jack, alsa, pulsaudio, gstreamer. Is there a lib that wrappes all those audio stuff?

6. Cpd5899

Cpd5899 New Member

Hardware:
    RPi3
    Anything new for audio?

7. redPanther

Hardware:
    no, not yet. we are currently making next generation hyperion with lot's of reworks, refactoring and cleanups ... audio stuff will be targeted afterwards ... no clue when this will be

8. Cédric Laubacher

Cédric Laubacher Pukinator

Hardware:
    RPi1/Zero, RPi3, +Arduino
    Once this gets integrated, would the music mode be an effect or how would it be activated?

9. redPanther

Hardware:
    implemention or other details not defined yet.
    I can imagine that audio data is available in effects and there you can implement sound to light.

10. Cédric Laubacher

Hardware:
    That'd be great, so I can just add another script to PlexPy to trigger that effect once Music starts to play

11. redPanther

Hardware:
    we could use pyAudio in effects script. This is based on portAudio lib and therefore it is compat to all major linux (and win/osx) audio systems.

I already played around with that while using jasper voice control (http://jasperproject.github.io/). There we can take the "mic.py" as an example how we can implement that.

One tiny problem is: My development system has a sound setup that is incompatible with portaudio. So I currently can't develop it.

12. Cédric Laubacher

Hardware:
  13. redPanther

Hardware:
    Thx! we can adapt the python code and make an effect for music mode :)

• Like Like x 2
  14. scottlawsonbc

scottlawsonbc New Member

Hardware:
    RPi1/Zero, RPi2, RPi3
    Hello! I'm the creator of scottlawsonbc/audio-reactive-led-strip. I noticed some traffic originating from this page. I have no idea what Hyperion is, but if you want have any questions feel free to ask