Streaming platforms natively on the TV apps

• Hello Everyone !
    I have not yet setup hyperion because I am not really sure how to solve this problem that I have.

TV:

Sony 75" XH80 4K UHD LED Smart TV
    KD75XH8096

We watch streaming platforms natively on the TV apps and I feel like that is the way I want to use my TV.

We watch 90% of our content from Netflix and other streaming sources that require HDCP2.2
    However there is no HDMI-Output on my TV (see attatched photo) so using a capturecar with HDCP2.2 support will not be possible or am I missing something here ?

I meant to buy a Zasluke 4K capturecard with HDCP2.2 but after some research and looking at my TV this will not be possible since I have no HDMI output on my TV.

Using a camera to detect the screen is not the way I would like to go so that is not an option.

Sure, I could just get a NVIDIA Shield or a Android box but it does not feel right either so I am kind of stucked here.

I know there are apps called android grabber and that I could use WLED and a ESP8266 but that doesnt let me watch Netflix either since it requires HDCP2.2

Have anyone managed to workaround this ?

I guess I am not the only one in the world who has found this to be a problem.

If not, is anyone working on a soulution for this ?

I really like the built in apps on the TV and I just feel like this HDCP2.2 is just a headache.

Thank You in advance.

• TPmodding: Well if I wanted a Phillips I would have bought one. Since youre a administrator I think that is a wierd answer from you, the focus on a project like this should also be to try to find soulutions. Just wierd.

A-Jey: Yes that is ofcourse a way to do it but as I said I really like the native built in android on my tv, but I have a great android box that I use for my old TV in my beedroom so maybe I will have to solve the problem like that until another project that can work around this HDCP2.2. Thanks for your input !

• What's weird about an honest answer?

You could also use a camera, but you don't want to.

You don't want to use external devices either.

DolbyVision doesn't work with external devices either.

DRM, HDCP2.2 or HDCP2.3, DolbyVision is a problem at the moment.

This works with Philips and is not a problem.

I use LG TV with PicCap but that doesn't work on all TVs either and you always have to expect the manufacturer to take measures or that it only works with external devices.

regards pclin

Dreambox ONE / TWO

dreamOS OE2.6

Amlogic S922X - 53.000 DMIPS - 2 GB RAM - 16 GB Flash - Twin-DVB-S2X Tuner - HDR10 - HLG
    -
    AudioDSP: miniDSP 2x4HD - Amp: Pentagon - Lautsprecher ELAC / ARENDAL
    LG OLED65BX9LB (PicCap, hyperion.NG webOS)

FireTV 4K max

-
    hyperion (classic) & Plugin HyperionControl | hyperion-ng 2.0.16-beta.1 (dreamOS)
    Hyperion-ng (Debian bullseye)
    -
    6 x ESP32/Wemos D1 mini - WLED - SK6812 RGBW-NW 60 LEDs/m
    FeinTech VSP01201 - Grabber Macrosilicon

LG TV Hyperion webOS & PicCap

snoozer_likelinux_manvtkns.gif

Ambilight for ever

• pclin An honest answer is not something bad, but a short answer like that felt like that answer was not open minded.

I came here trying to find out if there are any people working on a solution for the problems with DRM protected services.
    If the Hyperion Project should move forward then I think its good to atleast try finding a soulution for that problem since many TV:s regardless manufacturer, acually comes with a built in android system that in my opinion is working really good.
    I know that Phillips is the way to go if you want this feature build in and working properly but as you know not everyone wants to have a Phillips TV just because of the ambientlight, there are other aspects to look for when buying a TV just then the ambientlight and personally I enjoy these kind of DIY-projects, finding a soulution to a problem is a part of it.

Anyway it seems like I have get my answer: DRM protected material have not been solved by the DIY community yet but Im pretty sure that in the future some great people will find a soulution, maybe it will not be Hyperion but I believe it will be solved.

Until then I guess my only option is to add an external device or use Android grabber and watch my movies from Kodi or Plex.

Thanks for a good answer !

• Zitat von ottosboy

TV:s regardless manufacturer, acually comes with a built in android system that in my opinion is working really good.

How many manufacturers did you compare?

Did they all have the same Android version or the same special firmware?

Were they all equipped with the same SoC?

The differences even with just one manufacturer are big,

DRM, DolbyVision, etc. are not open source and some have tried and failed, in many cases the hardware is decrypted in the chip, so that the data cannot be accessed at all.

If that should work, the manufacturers will (have to) adapt their firmware because otherwise they will lose their licenses. And if you don't update then Netflix & Co. very quickly stop working on the TV.

regards pclin

Dreambox ONE / TWO

dreamOS OE2.6

Amlogic S922X - 53.000 DMIPS - 2 GB RAM - 16 GB Flash - Twin-DVB-S2X Tuner - HDR10 - HLG
    -

FireTV 4K max

-
    hyperion (classic) & Plugin HyperionControl | hyperion-ng 2.0.16-beta.1 (dreamOS)
    -

Ambilight for ever

• Offizieller Beitrag

the focus on a project like this should also be to try to find soulutions.

This is a DIY self project, mostly used on a raspberry pi with a media system like kodi or osmc etc...this works very well, if you consider that only 2 devs working on this actually.

but some user misunderstand the whole "hyperion ambilight system" cause they want ALL AND EVERYTHING: hdcp2.2, hdr, hdm2.1,4k60hz, and in best case by only installing a "app" on a tv....without a raspberry pi and support for every common china led strip/bulb etc

If the Hyperion Project should move forward then I think its good to atleast try finding a soulution for that problem since many TV:s regardless manufacturer, acually comes with a built in android system that in my opinion is working really good.

our goal was never to implement hyperion for any tv... let me explain your "try finding a solution":

i am from germany so i will only list the common tv brands here:

brand 1 LG:

LG: today mostly used with webOS, webOS came with different versions, so the first thing would be:

try to hack webos

try to find out how to get root

try to find out how to root the system the easy way for everyone

reverse engineer the whole system to get what you want

rewrite/customize hyperion to run on the tv

oh but wait, there are different versions...so each step from here needs to be done for different versions

and if LG sees that there is a exploit to hack/root the tv, they will fix it with the new version and then the whole story from zero

here are some references where you can read about about rooting lg tvs

https://forum.xda-developers.c…tvs.3887904/post-78624894

https://github.com/RootMyTV/RootMyTV.github.io

if you want you can get an LG tv, root it with the links above and install Piccap which can grab the picture from the tv

https://github.com/TBSniller/piccap

or you can use tuxusers ported hyperion version for lg tvs

https://github.com/tuxuser/hyperion.rs

brand 2 samsung:

the whole steps from above are similar with the difference that samsung has different "systems (tizenOS)" on each series...and sometimes 2 different proccesor on a model here are the series:

a

b

c

d

e

f

h

j

k

m/q

n/qn

r/qr

t/qt

a/qa

samsung is a little bit confusing, if you want some more infos:

feel free to research

https://forum.samygo.tv

here is a list for some rootable tvs:

https://forum.samygo.tv/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8274

there is also hyperion for samsung tvs:

https://forum.samygo.tv/viewtopic.php?f=87&t=12551

then there are some other brands like panasonic and sony etc, but i dont know how there tvs, i am only a fan from webOS from LG and the smarthub from samsung

afaik: for things like hdcp you need a general license and then you have to pay in addition for every device (not sure) but we also do not plan to have a own device....

there are only some "options" which you can use but you said you dont want to use the camera method so the only solution is to buy a philips ambilight which has everything implemented....this was not a "weird" answer, it is only "weird" for you because i didnt provide a good answer/solution for you. That was not meant negatively at all.

• TPmodding:

Thank you for a more detailed answer, this was exactly what I was looking for.
    Now you gave me a deeper understanding of your initial goals for the project at the fact that you are only 2 devs working on this.

The hyperion project is really good imo, it works great and I am very well aware that this is a DIY soulution and that is why I choose a project like this.

DIY is, as you mention, never ever plug and play were you get EVERYTHING by just pasting on a random no name chinese led strip and grab an app from google playstore an boom everything works flawless nut for me that is the beauty of DIY and open source and that is why I choose it.

I know that I could buy a Phillips TV (plug and play), or a GOOVE led kit with a camera and everything (wich is for me like a "half DIY" project.

I appreciate all the work that you guys have put into this project and that you share it for free to DIY:ers like me.

Also thanks for the links that you attatched, I will take a look at them but as you describe I will probably have to go and look for a soulution for SONY since that is the brand I use and prefer.

Last but not least I still believe there will be a soulution to this in the future, I am sure there will be either a hardware soulution or a software soultion to this.

As for now, I will run Hyperion on my ESP8266, Android Grabber and Home assistant and live with the fact that it is what it is.

Thanks again for a better answer and keep up the good work, I have now get the answer I was looking for.

Best Regards from Sweden

pclin:

DRM, DolbyVision, etc. are not open source and some have tried and failed, in many cases the hardware is decrypted in the chip, so that the data cannot be accessed at all.

I know that DRM, Dolbyvison are not open source and that it is decrypted. but i do know however that if you use a capturecard with the DHCP2.2 connected to an external device like Nvidia Shield, Xiomi Mi Box, Firestick and many more you are able to atleast watch Netflix, Amazon Prime and other streaming platforms that are have the DRM. This is were HDCP comes in, HDCP as you know makes a handshake with the streaming platforms and then it works, atleast of my understanding.

I have not yet decided if I should get a Capturecard and a stand alone android box since there are too many pros and cons and I dont know if its worth spending the money. But a capturecard and a stand alone unit seems to solve the problem regarding Netflix and other streaming platforms due to the DHCP handshaking and that tells me: There must be a workaround, its just that someone didnt figured it out yet.

As for now I just run WLED on a ESP8266 connected to my Hyperion-docker in Home Assistant and it works ok if I watch content that are not from DRM protected.

As for DolbyVision I cannot speak since its not something that I have had time to do a proper research on yet.

Stay Relentless

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ottosboy () aus folgendem Grund: Merged a post created by ottosboy into this post.

• HDCP is for devices is hardware based.

For this purpose, a chip is installed in each device, which has to authenticate itself in the playback chain.

regards pclin

Dreambox ONE / TWO

dreamOS OE2.6

-

FireTV 4K max

-
    -

Ambilight for ever

• r/qr

samsung is a little bit confusing, if you want some more infos:

That would be pretty awesome if it ever gets to R series.

For me philips TV with ambilight is nogo as i can't see the picture on those with daylight in the room :(

• So is it possible to get hyperion working with the apps on samsung tv with OS tizen?

I saw the link but did not understand how to fix this.

Do you have tips idea?

Thanks

• There are nerds out there who seems to suggest that Hyperion Grabber can be installed and run under Tizen on Samsung TV's, but if you ask them to explain how - they magically just disappear.....

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!