WS2801 needs strong color adjustments

• I wonder if this is another strip with the wrong resistors fitted ?

What does that mean? Can I figure it out by myself?

I´m wondering why there are so many tutorial with WS2801 if it is "known" there are more problems like this? Can´t imagine that Aki(?) from powerpi.de would choose this without thinking over it. He also uses WS2801 in his tutorials and has a good white default with just a little need of adjustment.

These stripe I got from Hello Fish do look like good quality. No welding issues or similar. Also the feedbacks on Aliexpress look good and for what I have found with a quick research APA102 are not that much more expensive?!

After calibrating I´m having an even more bad ambilight experience. It´s like normal colors are way to bright/less saturated and dark scenes are much too strong and often "dark red/orange" or "purple" when it should be nearly black! Not making fun right now... =(
    Spent much time with the calibration and with the calibration pictures everything looked great but with live program it´s not... any hints for me?

Will take some pics when the sun goes down to show it - or should I make a new thread for this?

• The ws2801 is just a chip - it's up to the strip manufacturer how they implement it and their level of quality.

The datasheet has some worked examples on what the resistor values should be.

Green and blue LEDs have a similar forward voltage drop so their resistors are often the same value - typicaly 100 ohm
    Red LEDs have a lower voltage drop so need a higher resistor - 130 or 150 ohm

Those resistor values are just from randomly looking at photos on eBay and j can already see some variation before we look at manufacturing errors.

You'll need a multimeter to truly test how it's wired and the resistor values

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von penfold42 ()

• With my ws2801 i had almost the same Values to get a good White. After i changed to the Apa102 my Values are 255 255 255.

• I have the same issue with ws2801 but I hot glued them to the tv. Yellow never looks right does it? The Apa102 are pretty expensive right now, I am going to stick with the ws2801 for a while.

New Hardware that doesn't work properly since 2020:
    202 APA102 Leds with 10amp power supply
    RPi 4 with power supply
    Windows Grabber, Win10 64bit PC
    Ubiquity Unifi Network

Old Hardware that never worked properly since 2014:
    137 ws2801 LEDs
    HDMI splitter
    HD2AV (NTSC video source)
    STK1160
    rpi2 with OSMC

• I have a question about the powersupply: I'm using a 5V/20A supply.
    Is it possible to use this with the APA102/60. The length is 4,50 meters

• yes they do need strong color adjustments, i get really good results with :
    white at R:255 G:74 B:46
    gamma: R:3,04 G:2,5 B: 2,5

I am having problems with overall brightness though since updating to new version of hyperion... I dont think its a chip problem though

-> if somebody has left some apa102 over and wants to sell them please contact me via PN. if i can get enough leds for my 49" TV i would like to give these leds a try.

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von cocrea ()

• I have a question about the powersupply: I'm using a 5V/20A supply.
    Is it possible to use this with the APA102/60. The length is 4,50 meters

APA102/60 uses max 18W/m
    18W/m x 4,5m = 81W

Your supply offers 5V x 20A = 100W

So yes, this should work you even have some reserve.

• Hi guys!
    It´s been a loooong time now... but really I didn´t manage it to carry on this problem until now.
    I´ve switched to a RasPi 3 with OSMC in the meanwhile, but still with this issue.

BUT after playing a few minutes again with the testpics and color calibration values I noticed something:

I am getting wrong colours when switching from black to e.g. f3f3f3 grey image (leds are low light red).
    But when switching from white image to f3f3f3 grey image led colour is good!

So I guess that is the source of my problem why calibration with images is ok but when watching live media colours are often way to strong or wrong.

Did ever someone notice that on his leds, too or has an idea from where this strange behaviour could come?

I got an second led stripe from the manufacturer that time for free because of my issues but I don´t think that will solve it?!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!